How to easily manage & reassign tasks using Groups as roles

Does this ever happen to you?

• An employee is going on a looong 1-month leave, another employee else has to temporarily take over their tasks during their absence, and someone has to reassign all the current and future tasks from the inbox until the employee returns.
  • An employee in the company is leaving, the new employee has to take over all the current tasks in the inbox, and an Editor has to update all relevant Workflow in order to change the task pre-assignments from one specific user to another.

Did you know that you can use “Groups” as an individual role for easier task management?

• You can create different roles in the “Groups” setting. For example, “HR Manager”.
  • Then, pre-assign this specific group to tasks in your Workflow.
  • If an employee is going into a long absence: Temporarily add another Member to the Group.
  • If an employee is leaving the company: Replace the user with another Member in the Group.

Here’s a 4-min video explaining this.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of using group assignments :+1: The kinda hidden ability to transfer tasks to someone new using groups is such a bonus.

Hi Brenda, our workflow assigned all tasks to a group. Is there an easy way for the rest of the team not to receive notifications once a member has become responsible and picked up a workflow run? Thanks

Hey Corina!

Great question!

What you can do is make sure you have a task specifically for a Member to pick up the responsibility.

Referring to my screenshot below, I’ve named that task “Assign PIC”.

• This task is assigned to an “Admin” Group
  • This task has a required Member widget, with the “Admin” Group selected.
  • This task has a Stop.
  • Role assign the rest of the tasks (for example, Task 1 & 2) to the Member widget (for example, “Select Admin PIC”).

What should happen?

• Everyone in the Admin group will be notified when there is a new Workflow Run.
  • The stop and the required field make sure that someone has to select their name first before continuing with the rest of the Workflow Run.
  • Once someone from the group has picked up the responsibility, he/she will select his/her name from the Member widget “Select Admin PIC”, and complete the task.
  • Once the task is completed, the rest of the group members no longer need to action this and should not see this task in their Inbox.
  • Only the person who picked up the responsibility will be assigned to the rest of the tasks in the Workflow Run and will see the tasks in the Inbox.

Let me know if you have any questions about the above! :slight_smile:

Hi Brenda, this looks great, thank you for your help! :raised_hands:

1 Like